The Mexico Beach Artificial Reef Association “Memorial Reef” is a scientifically designed reef made of Florida Limestone and environmentally safe cast concrete that is used to create new marine habitats for fish and other forms of sea life. The cremated remains of an individual is incorporated into an environmentally safe cement mixture designed to create artificial reef formations. The cement is poured into three separate forms, cured, and then welded and poured again to create the largest and strongest reefs available today. The Reefs are deployed in our legally permitted areas in the Mexico Beach, Fl vicinity. The MBARA dive team regularly monitors the condition of the reefs as well as the marine ecosystem.
We have two types of Memorial Reefs: Rename an existing reef or build a custom Reef. All Memorial Reefs include:
- A dedicated webpage for your reef on our website to include a narrative and pictures of your loved one (example https://mbara.org/reefs/adam-wade-milner-memorial-reef/)
- A GPS survey to record the specific longitude and latitude of the Memorial Reef
- MBARA Memorial Reef Certificate displaying your Reef’s GPS location.
- MBARA dive team monitors condition of reef in future years
- Eligible as a tax deduction